Skip to main content

Living Essentials

Everything you need to simplify daily life at Duke.

Transportation Flowchart: Use this flowchart to help you better understand and navigate automobiles and transportation decisions at Duke!

Parking At Duke

Speeding Tickets

Want to learn to drive and get a license? Read our guides below!

Driving Lessons

NC State ID, Learner's License & Driving License Info

Thinking of renting or purchasing a vehicle? Read through our guides on rentals, buying pre-owned cars, finding mechanics, and navigating automobile insurance below:

Purchasing a Pre-Owned Car

Registering Your Car & Auto Tags

Car Rentals

Automobile Mechanics

Automobile Insurance

Note: If you are Canadian, then the process for getting insured and legal to start driving is outlined here.

You will find it almost essential to have a bank account in the USA, unless you are here for a short period of time. We (USA Americans) use debit cards for almost all our purchases these days. We usually carry very little cash on us.

Opening an account
All you need to open a bank account is your passport, a U.S. address and some money to deposit. The bank will ask for your social security number (SSN) but you DO NOT NEED this number to open a bank account. If you are eligible for an SSN, just tell the bank you will give the number to them after you receive it. If you are not eligible for an SSN, that is fine. If you open up an interest-bearing savings account, you are eligible to apply for an Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN)

Wiring Money
If you want funds transferred electronically from your home to your bank here in the United States, you will need (1) the name of your bank, (2) your bank account number, and (3) your bank's routing number. Each bank charges for wiring funds in and out of the country. Contact the individual banks for fees.

Fact Sheets

The information sheets below contain detailed description of how to access the resources and utilize them.

The Triangle area (Durham-Chapel Hill-Raleigh) is a great place to raise children. There are lots of family friendly things to do as well as many parks and green areas. Good Resources to check out include: Carolina ParentDurham Parks & Recreation and Chapel Hill Parks & Recreation. That said, one really must have a car if you are coming here with children. For more information on how to go about purchasing a second-hand car, take a look at

Purchasing a Pre-Owned Car or go to our Transportation section.

Fact Sheets

Adjusting to a new culture while maintaining your own can be difficult. DISC offers a variety of resources to help you successfully navigate the cultural maze.

Fact Sheets & Resources

  • Departure Checklist: List of things "to do" prior to your departure from Duke.
  • Donations: List of groups that accept donations of clothing, books, furniture, and other items.
  • Shipping & Storage: Companies which ship items overseas, where and how to store your stuff during breaks and recommended way to ship your books overseas.

The best place to take English Language Classes is at Durham Technical Community College. Durham Tech offers classes at no charge in both Durham and Chapel Hill during the day and in the evenings. You must attend the mandatory registration session in order to be enrolled for classes that semester. DTCC also offers more academic English classes for a fee. Note: Durham Tech does not provide childcare.

ESL Resources.  — This handout includes information about where you can study and/or practice English language in the area.

Private Tutor List.  — Hiring a Private English Language Tutor may be a better option given your circumstances. Here is a list of local tutors and editors.

Durham boasts some of North Carolina's most notable chefs and restaurants. Nearly 500 restaurants can be found in Durham, with food ranging from North Carolina barbecue (traditionally pulled pork) to fresh seafood. There are many diverse restaurants in Durham with a variety of cuisines. Check out or subscribe to Bites of Bull City.

Restaurants Close to Campus. There are some fun neighborhoods within walking distance to West and East Campuses. The non-profit, Downtown Durham, is a wonderful resource for eateries walking distance to campus, coffee shops and much more.

Tips on Tipping. In the United States a “tip” is NOT included in restaurant bills, haircuts, taxi rides or other services provided. Take a look at this Consumer Reports information to learn more about tipping in the United States.

Finding an Optometrist. — If you need to find an eye doctor and/or get contact lens or glasses.

Finding a Dentist.  — There is a dental clinic at the Student Wellness Center that is open to all at Duke. However you can also go to a dentist in the community.

Finding a Doctor for Non-Students.  —mIf you are a Duke student, you can go to the Duke Student Health Center for medical treatment. This information is for everyone who is not a Duke student and needs to find a doctor or clinic.

In case of emergency, dial 911 immediately

Duke University strives to be a safe place for students to learn, grow, and enjoy their college experience. Security is a shared responsibility and students, faculty, and staff are all valuable partners with Campus Security to help to maintain a safe campus community for all. If you are living off campus and within the Duke Vans zone, we suggest putting the Transloc mobile app on your phone.

When out walking about here are some tips to remember when confronted and you may feel unsure, panhandling is not against the law but there are some rules and guidelines.

Safety Tips from DISC

Duke Police Safety Information

Do not hesitate to contact Duke International Student Center  with any questions and/or concerns you have. No question is too small or too silly.

Fact Sheets

DISC and Center for Muslim Life (CML) will make weekly rotating trips  to various ethnic grocery stores. Pick ups are made at East Campus, Bryan Center Bus Stop and Lancaster Commons.

Global Grocery - Whatsapp Group

Duke is a diverse campus with a wide variety of student groups.

Student Groups At Duke

Looking to practice a specific language? Join a language table!

Language Tables

Are you organizing an event and want to know how to make it more inclusive to international students? Check out our guide on Globally Inclusive Programming.

If you earned Income in the US in 2023 and are considered a nonresident for tax purposes. (Determine your status below under additional requirements)

Did you have US based income in 2023 through work, stipend, or a scholarship and are considered a non resident for tax purposes? DISC will have a limited number of Sprintax codes available this year and will distribute on a first use bases, what this means is once you receive your code please be prepared to complete your taxes immediately or the code can be used by someone else. We will release codes the end of February, first of March but this information will be communicated through our newsletters.

We are not tax professionals and can only answer basic questions. In an effort to support those of you who may not receive a code and may not understand the US tax filing process we have collaborated with a local tax professional who will discuss the tax filing process and answer questions. You can also access Sprintax on your own at, we will release webinar dates for Sprintax and the local tax professional in the coming weeks via the newsletter.

If you are a nonresident for tax purposes, and you decide to complete your taxes on your own, please do not use Turbotax, this platform is used primarily for residents for tax purposes. Our students have had difficulty in the past using this platform.

All international students, scholars, and their family members who stayed in the U.S. for one day or more in 2023 must file Form 8843 individually and send it to the Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215 by April 15, 2024. This is true even if you did not have any income in 2023. Form 8843 is used to record the number of days that you were actually present in the United States within a year. This form has to be mailed directly to the IRS, through the US postal service. If you had an income in 2023, most tax preparation platforms will generate this form for you.

Additional requirements for those who earned income in the U.S. during 2023? 

If you had any U.S.-based income in 2023, you will need to file for a federal tax return and a state tax return by April 15, 2024. Your tax status will determine the correct tax forms to file. Your tax status is determined by your visa type and the amount of time that you have been in the U.S. for instance most F1 Visa holders are considered nonresidents for tax purposes, if they have been in the U.S. for under five years,  and a resident for tax purposes if they been here longer than the five years; the same is true for J1 Visa holders under two years are considered non residents for tax purposes and more than two years residents for tax purposes.

To determine your tax status, check out the IRS website: 

Or start a Sprintax return at if you are a resident for tax purposes, the platform will prevent you from going any further.

Resident Alien or Nonresident Alien                                                                            

Determining your tax filing status 

  • Were you and any family members in the U.S. for any part of 2023? If yes, you will need to file tax forms.  All international students, scholars, and their family members who stayed in the U.S. for one day or more in 2023 must file Form 8843 (one form per family member) and send it to the Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215. This is true even if you did not have any income in 2023.
  • Did you earn or receive money in the U.S. in 2023? If you had any U.S.-based income (including scholarships, awards, or other compensation) in 2023, you will need to file a federal tax return and a state tax return by April 15, 2024.  If you did earn or receive money, you should have one or more of the following forms (the definition of each of these forms is below).
    • W-2
    • 1099
    • 1042-S 
  • Are you a non-resident alien (NRA) or resident alien (RA) for tax purposes?  Prior to filing your taxes, you need to determine your residency for tax purposes:
  1. F or J Student (and OPT) If you are in the U.S. in an F or J student status, you are exempt from the ‘substantial presence’ test for five calendar years. That means if you have been in the U.S. for less than 5 years, you are considered a nonresident alien (NRA) for tax purposes.  Here beyond five years, you are likely to be considered a resident alien (RA) for tax purposes and can file form 1040 like a U.S. citizen. 
  2. J Scholar or Researcher If you are in the U.S. in a J scholar status, you are exempt from the ‘substantial presence’ test for two calendar years. That means if you have been in the U.S. for less than 2 years, you are considered a nonresident alien (NRA) for tax purposes. Beyond two years, you are likely to be considered a resident alien (RA) for tax purposes and can file form 1040 like a U.S. citizen. 
  3. H, TN, or O Status If you are in the U.S. in an H, TN, or O status, you must use the ‘substantial presence’ test to determine whether you are considered a Resident Alien or Non-Resident Alien for tax purposes. 


Definition of Terms and Tax forms 

  •   File. Complete tax forms and mail them to the IRS.
  • W2. The tax form shows the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes. You can find this on Duke@work if you worked at Duke, or directly from the company you worked for. 
  • 1042-S. A foreign person’s U.S. source income (scholarships, fellowships) is subject to withholding (taxes). You usually obtain this form from your payroll department or it is mailed to your home. If you need a copy, reach out to your department contact or Corporate payroll at for assistance. 
  • 1099 Misc. The IRS requires any person or company that makes certain types of payments to report them on a 1099-MISC to the recipient and the IRS. This informational form covers a wide range of payments you receive, such as rent, royalties, prizes and awards, and substitute payments in lieu of dividends. However, the most common use of the form is to report your earnings when you work as an independent contractor, such as a freelance writer. 
  • 1040-NR. Federal Tax form you prepare and file if you are a nonresident alien for tax purposes and you have any form of U.S. income. 
  • 1040. Federal Tax forms you prepare and file if you are a resident alien for tax purposes with or without dependents or a qualifying relative and you have any form of U.S. income 
  • NC Form D-NC State Tax form you are required to prepare and file if you have any form of U.S. income. 
  • 8843. All F-1/J-1 foreign nationals (and their F-2/J-2 dependents) who are non-residents for tax purposes are required to file Form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition) This is the case whether or not you received income or are filing a separate tax return. Residents for tax purposes are NOT required to file IRS Form 8843. 

Local Tax Professionals

Margaret Hung

H&R Block

5322 NC Hwy 55, Suite 103

Phone 919.294.8598


Paul Scheible, CPA, PLLC

3400 Croasdaile Drive, Suite 203

Durham, NC 27705

Phone 919.382.2507


Learn More

Besides driving, there's a number of ways to get around Durham and Duke.

Ride Sharing

GoTriangle and GoDurham Buses fees are suspended until July 1, 2024, everyone has free access to take the bus to any place in Durham, Raleigh, and/or Chapel Hill.

Durham Public Transport Buses



Budget Travels

This includes discount travel sites such as Megabus, AAA Travel, and various means of travel, buses, trains, and airlines.

Day Trips

This includes local attractions, museums, and activities that are up to a four hour radius to Durham.