East House is a three-story building of white pressed brick and Indiana sandstone, roofed with green tile; it complements West House architecturally. Its construction began January 4th, 1911, the same day the original Washington Duke Building was destroyed in a fire. It was known as the East Dormitory until 1912, when it was named in honor of former North Carolina Governor Charles Brantley Aycock (1859-1912). The building initially served as a men's residence until the opening of West Campus and the creation of the Woman’s College in 1930.
In 2014, the building name was restored to East House.
Details about East House:
- Home to approximately 90 first-year students.
- All rooms retain their original hardwood flooring.
- Bedrooms are heated with steam heat radiators and cooled with either window unit or floor unit air conditioners.
- Rooms have either one closet per student or one large walk-in closet that is shared by both students. Some rooms have a wardrobe instead of a built-in closet.
- East has single and double rooms.
- Room layouts vary widely in the building
- East does not have a passenger elevator but does have a wheelchair-accessible side entrance.
- The first floor includes large commons rooms and a shared kitchen.
Residence Coordinator: Adam Coshal
Faculty-in-Residence: Nima Bassiri
QuadEX Connection: Wannamaker
Mailing Address for all mail and packages:
First and Last Name: Blue Devil
Address Line 1 - Residence Hall Street Address: 1312 Campus Drive
Address Line 2 - Box Number, Residence Hall and Room #: Box 99999, East House 100
City, State, Zip: Durham, NC 27708