Skip to main content

Get Support

Access Support

Support looks different for everyone. The information provided below enables you to become informed of the resources available to support those who have been affected by sexual misconduct. These are available regardless of whether or not you choose to initiate a formal process.

We also recognize that confidentiality is particularly important to survivors of sexual misconduct. There are several options to seek support and/or report an incident of sexual harassment or violence. These options fall into two categories: confidential and non-confidential as defined below.

Who can I talk to?

You may speak with any of the following people regardless of if you are a complainant, respondent, or a witness. 

Confidential resources: People who are not required to file a report if told about instances of sexual misconduct. They can help you file a report, but only if you decide to. 

  • Gender Violence Intervention Coordinator, Amy Johndro
    • / 984-569-0592
    • Contact the GVIC via this form
    • Amy provides clinical care management and support planning to individuals who have experienced gender-based violence including stalking, sexual assault, relationship violence or sexual harassment. You can expect a response within 24 hours.
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) 
    • 919-660-1000 / 3rd floor of Student Wellness Building (walk-ins welcome) 
    • CAPS Hours: M/T 9-6, W/Th/Fr 9-4 
  • Blue Devils Care via TimelyCare
    • Get the App and use “Talk Now” to access emotional health support with expert counselors on demand 24/7 or “Scheduled Counseling” to choose the time and date to meet with a licensed counselor
  • Student Ombudsperson
    • / 919-613-2736 
    • The student ombuds is a confidential, independent, informal, and impartial resource on campus. The ombuds serve as a confidential sounding board where visitors can express their concerns related to their university experience without fear of judgment. As an informal resource, the ombuds are not finders of fact and do not conduct formal investigations or participate in investigative hearings. The ombuds work with visitors to provide them with information about university resources, teach conflict resolution skills and best practices, talk through policy and procedures related to their concerns, and develop a plan for next steps.
  • Student Health
  • Clergy from Religious Life

Non-confidential resources: People who are required to file a report if told about instances of sexual misconduct. Most Duke employees (including RAs and TAs) fall in this category, which Duke calls Responsible Employees.  

Here are some non-confidential resources you may want to reach out to: 

For more info about what happens when you talk to a Responsible Employee, please see the FAQs.

After-Hours Support

Further Information

The Durham Crisis Response Center (DCRC) offers support and resources for anyone experiencing relationship or sexual abuse. 

The North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCCADV) may be a helpful resource if you are outside of Durham County.

The North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NCCASA) may be a helpful resource if you are outside of Durham County.

The RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline offers confidential, 24/7 support. They also offer specialized services for men, Spanish-speakers, survivors of domestic violence, and members of the military and their families.

  • Chat / 800-656-HOPE (4673)

The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is available to anyone experiencing a mental health crisis.

  • Dial 988

For mental health support, students studying away also have mental health support available through ISOS. To access resources, the student should call ISOS and request mental health assistance.

For students who have been named as a respondent in a report of sexual or gender-based misconduct, here is a guide to resources: Information for Respondents.

If you have questions about the investigation or adjudication process, please contact Adrienne Allison, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students, at 919-684-1437 or

If you have questions about supportive measures or connecting to resources, please contact Victoria Krebs, Associate Dean of Students, Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, at 919-684-7336 or

Supportive measures are available to all complainants, respondents, and witnesses, whether or not they choose to file a formal complaint or participate in the conduct process. You may work with the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards (OSCCS) and/or the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) to determine which accommodations are appropriate.  

No-Contact Directives 

  • Ex. Alex is afraid the respondent will try to talk to her if she sees him on campus. She has also been receiving unwanted text messages and social media requests from him. She can contact OSCCS or OIE, and they can determine whether a No-Contact directive is appropriate. These are taken very seriously; if this directive is violated, the respondent will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Change in schedule

  • Ex. Avery doesn’t feel comfortable going to class because the respondent is in the same class section. Avery can go to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards to request a transfer to another class section, so that Avery and their respondent never have to cross paths. 

Parking passes and routes

  • Ex. John’s assaulter is on the tennis team, and John parks in the Blue Zone, so he often has to pass his respondent. John can go to the Office of Student Conduct and the OIE to request a new parking pass, as well as to get help mapping out routes around campus that don’t pass areas his assaulter frequents.   

Change in dorm 

  • Ex. The incident took place in Luz's dorm, and now it is a triggering space for her. She can request to be moved to a new building.

Academic accommodations

  • Ex. Sam can request extensions on their projects in the aftermath of an assault.  
  • Ex. Cassius can connect with his Academic Dean and/or the Time Away Office and discuss taking a leave of absence and or withdrawing from a course past a deadline. 

Further supportive measures

  • You can always ask for what you need, and the staff at OIE and OSCCS will work with you to determine what's appropriate.

Why choose supportive measures?

  • Accommodations are accessible and inclusive. You do not have to even file a report to receive supportive measures. You can also receive them regardless of whether you're the complainant, respondent, or a witness.
  • Seeking supportive measures does not preclude you from also filing a report, participating in a formal student disciplinary case, and/or asking for a mediated, alternative resolution.
Leave this page