Skip to main content


DISC Helps You Navigate the Services You Need.

Over the summer Duke University International Student Center will make once a month drop-off trips to Social Security, each first Monday at 9:00 am, from our office at Smith Warehouse, 114 S. Buchanan Blvd, Bay 5 second floor. No registration is required.

Social Security Administration Office

Drop-Offs Only


3511 Shannon Road, Suite 200 
Durham 27707 
Tel. 800.772.1213 

Getting back to campus, the Durham bus system is still free, catch the bus at the corner of MLK and Shannon Roads, Bus 10 or 10B and transfer to bus 6 when you arrive at the downtown station or take an Uber or Lyft back to campus. To map your route, go to: 

How to Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) 

When filling out the social security card application, please ensure that your first, middle and last names are spelled exactly as they are on your passport. When you receive your card be sure to check that the printed name on the card is exactly as it appears in your passport. Complete your Social Security application online at

  • You must have been in the United States for at least 3 business days
  • If you are a F-1 or a J-1 student, you must have an on-campus job
  • If you are an F-1 or J-1 student who is hired as a Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant, you will need a separate letter from the department hiring you.
  • Unfortunately, F-2 dependent visas are NOT eligible to work or apply for SSN
  • If you are on a J-2 visa, you may apply for a number after receiving your Employment Authorization Card
  • If you are a F-1 or J-1 student with CPT or OPT employment, you can apply for a number no more than 30 days prior to your job start date.
  • Your Passport
  • Your I-94 card. Go to: to print off your electronic Arrival/Departure Record
  • F-1 Visa Holder with On Campus Employment: I-20, Employment Letter and Completed Memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services
  • F-1 Visa Holder with Research or Teaching Assistantship: I-20 and completed Memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services and completed Memorandum issued by your Duke Department.
  • F-1 Visa Holder authorized to worked in curricular practical training (CPT): I-20 with the employment information (on the second page) completed and signed by Duke Visa Services
  • F-1 Visa Holder authorized to worked in Optional Practical Training (OPT): EAD card. Or you can apply for the SSN at the same time you apply for OPT, by indicating it on your OPT application Form I-765 (see for more information.)
  • J-1 Visa Holder: DS-2019 and the memorandum issued by Duke Visa Services to the Social Security Administration
  • J-2 Visa Holder: Employment Authorization Card & DS-2019
  • H-1B Visa Holder: I-797

Trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

Drop-Offs Only

DMV is open for walk-ins and appointments. Walk-ins are accepted daily starting at noon. Duke International Student Center will provide drop-off only transportation to DMV on every second Thursday of the month, departing from our office at Smith Warehouse, 114 Buchanan Blvd, Bay 5. To make an appointment online, please go to the NCDMV website, we do not provide transportation for individual appointments. If you need to get your driver's license, select "Driver License – First Time" for appointment type, and you will take a road test at your scheduled appointment.

New to DMV

DMV has an online study tool that can help you prepare for the written part of the test.

Tired of carrying around your passport? Ready to begin driving lessons? Then apply for a State Identification Card or take a driver’s license exam.

Driver's License Office (South)
3825 S. Roxboro St., Suite 119
Durham, NC 27713
(919) 560-3378

Once a month, DISC offers a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Please bring the following items with you:

  • Passport
  • Visa Document (I-20 or DS-2019)
  • I-94 card
  • Social Security Card (only if you have one)
  • $5.00 cash, check or credit/debit card accepted
  • Proof of Residence-a letter from your bank or utility company with your name and Durham/Chapel Hill street address on it, or your apartment lease.

Note: If you are an undergraduate student, to get your Proof of Residence, you must go to

Residence Life Office

Phone: 919-684-3737


Questions? Please email or call us at 919-684-3585